Principles of practice
ColposcopyThe examination of the cervix and vagina with a magnifying instrument called a colposcope, to check for abnormalities. should be conducted:
- in appropriate surroundings
- with properly functioning diagnostic and therapeutic equipment
- by adequately trained personnel.
Patient information should be provided (see Supplement. Colposcopy information for discussion with patient):
- before or during the first colposcopy consultation
- after a treatment
- in a culturally and linguistically appropriate format.
Results of any procedure or treatment should be communicated in a timely fashion. Non-attendance should be documented and minimisation strategies implemented.