Form a multidisciplinary fertility preservation team
|Cancer treatment teams, fertility specialists and other key stakeholders should work together to preserve and optimise the future reproductive capacity of young people diagnosed with cancer.||PP|
Assessing and discussing the risk to fertility of cancer and cancer treatments is complex and requires multidisciplinary involvement across a number of specialist fields.
Cancer specialist teams have to manage the heavy burden of often acute presentations and extensive disease and are focused on informing patients about treatment options and providing treatments in a timely manner. Given this burden on the treatment team and the multiple and ethical issues involved in fertility preservation, it has been recommended that a specialised team, rather than the primary oncologist alone, addresses the issues with AYA patients.
Where possible, the fertility preservation team should include:
- the AYA patient’s treating oncologist
- a fertility specialist or reproductive endocrinologist
- a psychologist, counsellor or social worker
- an AYA Clinical Nurse Consultant and/or AYA cancer care coordinator (where available and appropriate)
- other health professionals as appropriate, depending on the patient’s age, cancer type and other personal factors.
- Forman EJ, Anders CK, Behera MA. A nationwide survey of oncologists regarding treatment-related infertility and fertility preservation in female cancer patients. Fertil Steril 2010 Oct;94(5):1652-6 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19945099.
- Lee SJ, Schover LR, Partridge AH, Patrizio P, Wallace WH, Hagerty K, et al. American Society of Clinical Oncology recommendations on fertility preservation in cancer patients. J Clin Oncol 2006 Jun 20;24(18):2917-31 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16651642.
- Nagel K, Cassano J, Wizowski L, Neal MS. Collaborative multidisciplinary team approach to fertility issues among adolescent and young adult cancer patients. Int J Nurs Pract 2009 Aug;15(4):311-7 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19703048.
- Levine J, Canada A, Stern CJ. Fertility preservation in adolescents and young adults with cancer. J Clin Oncol 2010 Nov 10;28(32):4831-41 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20458029.