Goldspiel B, Hoffman JM, Griffith NL, Goodin S, DeChristoforo R, Montello CM, et al. ASHP guidelines on preventing medication errors with chemotherapy and biotherapy. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2015 Apr 15;72(8):e6-e35 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25825193.
|Critical appraisal link||Clinical question||Assigned to||Status|
|Goldspiel B, Hoffman JM, Griffith NL, Goodin S, DeChristoforo R, Montello CM, et al 2015||Cancer chemotherapy medication safety guidelines||Ben Stevenson||completed|
Compare quality appraisals for each clinical question
- How can risk assessment and quality assurance activities minimise errors in cancer therapy?
- How should chemotherapy be safely administered via different routes?
- How should information be presented in the medication order to minimise errors?
- How should information be presented on a medication label for cancer therapy to minimise errors?
- What actions should be performed post-administration of cancer therapy to maximise safety?
- What are the documentation requirements to support the safe provision of cancer therapy?
- What are the responsibilities of the Nurse when administering cancer therapy?
- What are the responsibilities of the Pharmacist when dispensing and supplying cancer therapy?
- What are the responsibilities of the Prescriber when prescribing cancer therapy and associated medications?
- What competencies and skills are required when dispensing and supplying cancer therapy?
- What factors should be taken into account when using electronic systems to support the delivery of cancer therapy?
- What governance processes, policies and procedures should be in place for the safe provision of cancer therapy?
- What information should be included in a treatment protocol for cancer therapy?
- What information should be provided to patients and carers about the cancer therapy?
- What is best practice for documenting and communicating the treatment plan?
- What is the procedure for the Nurse when verifying cancer therapy and related medication prior to administration?
- What is the procedure for the Pharmacist when clinically verifying cancer prescriptions?
- What safety processes should be followed for preparation and delivery of cancer therapy?