Buchanan AH, Datta SK, Skinner CS, Hollowell GP, Beresford HF, Freeland T, et al. Randomized Trial of Telegenetics vs. In-Person Cancer Genetic Counseling: Cost, Patient Satisfaction and Attendance. J Genet Couns 2015 Apr 3 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25833335.
- How cost-effective is it for health services to use teleoncology compared with standard oncology care?
randomised controlled trial
To compare cancer telegenetics with in-person CGC on short-term process measures: cost, patient satisfaction, and genetic counseling attendance.
Allocated to IN-PERSON CGC (n=81)
Telegenetics System Performance
Genetic Counseling Attendance
Telegenetics System Performance: 15 % (n=11) were hampered by technical problems, including 7% in which a counseling session could not be completed
Per-Patient Costs: Total costs to provide CGC were $106.19 per telegenetics patient and $244.33 per in-person patient.
Patient Satisfaction: Satisfaction with CGC was high in both groups (no significant difference by group)
Genetic Counseling Attendance: Participants assigned to in-person CGC were significantly more likely to attend their appointment than their telegenetics counterparts (89 vs. 79 %, p=0.03).
Cost difference was driven primarily by the genetic counselor’s travel cost (in mileage reimbursement and personnel cost while traveling); cost for the genetic counselor’s patient care time was nearly identical between groups. Telegenetics system and clinic personnel costs had minimal impacts on telegenetics cost.
|High risk of bias||Comments: Please replace this text and include any additional comments in regards to your quality rating|
Risk of bias assessment: randomised controlled trial
- Outcomes not blinded, substantial side-effects, or not reported.
- No concealment or unclear (e.g. no approach described, open randomisation lists, person doing recruitment tossing a coin).
- Too many exclusions, differential loss in comparison groups, or not reported.
The field below is not considered when calculating the risk of bias rating
|5||Reason for decision: Not available for cost analysis|
|2||Additional comments: Included cost data but not from the patient perspective.|
- Buchanan AH, Datta SK, Skinner CS, Hollowell GP, Beresford HF, Freeland T, et al. Randomized Trial of Telegenetics vs. In-Person Cancer Genetic Counseling: Cost, Patient Satisfaction and Attendance. J Genet Couns 2015 Apr 3 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25833335.
- Assigned to
- Topic area
- Guidelines:Property "Appraisal topic" (as page type) with input value "Guidelines:" contains invalid characters or is incomplete and therefore can cause unexpected results during a query or annotation process.
- Clinical question
Section below only relevant for Cancer Council Project Officer