Faybush EM, Sampliner RE. Randomized trials in the treatment of Barrett's esophagus. Dis Esophagus 2005;18(5):291-7 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16197527.
- How effective is endoscopic management compared with surgical management for high grade dysplasia in patients with BO?
systematic review — review of 8 randomised trials comparing treatment for BE from 1996-2005. 8 trials with different entry criteria and endpoints, comparing a variety of treaments
|High risk of bias||Comments: mixed bag of largely small trials with varying endpoints. Data is now out of date|
Risk of bias assessment: systematic review
Studies included in the review
- Adequate – search terms and/or choice of databases could have been improved upon
- Adequate – inclusion criteria were pre-specified and applied by one person
- No – quality assessment either not undertaken, inappropriate or not described
- Adequate – more information would be desirable
The following questions are only relevant for systematic reviews that pooled data
|5||Reason for decision: can only assess effect of individual trials population to different to estimate effect of review article|
|4||Additional comments: Only one trial included HGD in BE. This had follow up to 24 months and showed reductio n in progression to cancer (13% vs 28%)|
- Faybush EM, Sampliner RE. Randomized trials in the treatment of Barrett's esophagus. Dis Esophagus 2005;18(5):291-7 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16197527.
- Assigned to
- Topic area
- Clinical question
Section below only relevant for Cancer Council Project Officer