Fayter D, Corbett M, Heirs M, Fox D, Eastwood A. A systematic review of photodynamic therapy in the treatment of pre-cancerous skin conditions, Barrett's oesophagus and cancers of the biliary tract, brain, head and neck, lung, oesophagus and skin. Health Technol Assess 2010 Jul;14(37):1-288 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20663420.
systematic review — In the section looking at PDT and Barrett's oesophagus there were 11 RCT's included. The majority of studies were small and likely to be underpowered. One large study was performed at 30 centre in 4 countries raising the possibility of institutional differences and protocol deviations. The included studies often reported their methods poorly and randomisation techniques were usually suboptimal. Some included studies were only published in abstract form making assessment of the validity of the data difficult.
|Low risk of bias||Comments: The review was largely descriptive and summarised various studies with comparable study design. Well constructed and useful summaries included.|
Risk of bias assessment: systematic review
Studies included in the review
- Very thorough – included appropriate search terms and databases
- Yes – pre-specified inclusion criteria applied independently by two people
- Yes – appropriate quality issues were assessed independently by two people
- Yes – summary descriptive tables of subjects, interventions, outcomes etc are provided and estimates of treatment effect displayed
The following questions are only relevant for systematic reviews that pooled data
|2||Reason for decision: The studies all looked at PDT using various protocols, photosensitiser drugs and times of drug administration. All do show that PDT is able to ablate Barrett's mucosa.|
|2||Additional comments: Studies were conducted in various patient groups making interpretation difficult. The majority had non-dysplastic Barrett's mucosa and it is unlikely that this will ultimately be the treatment group in which ablation therapy will be offered.|
- Fayter D, Corbett M, Heirs M, Fox D, Eastwood A. A systematic review of photodynamic therapy in the treatment of pre-cancerous skin conditions, Barrett's oesophagus and cancers of the biliary tract, brain, head and neck, lung, oesophagus and skin. Health Technol Assess 2010 Jul;14(37):1-288 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20663420.
- Assigned to
- Topic area
- Clinical question
Section below only relevant for Cancer Council Project Officer