Risk of bias assessment: Randomised Controlled Trial (Cochrane risk of bias tool)
Random sequence generation
Describe the method used to generate the allocation sequence in sufficient detail to allow an assessment of whether it should produce comparable groups.
- computerised randomisation programme
Describe the method used to conceal the allocation sequence in sufficient detail to determine whether intervention allocations could have been foreseen in advance of or during, enrolment.
- Central randomised system
Describe all measures used, if any, to blind outcome assessors from knowledge of which intervention a participant received. Provide any information relating to whether the intended blinding was effective.
- Outcome assessors were blinded to participants screening status.
Incomplete outcome data
Describe the completeness of outcome data for each main outcome, including attrition and exlusions from the analysis. State whether attrition and exclusions were reported, the numbers in each intervention group (compared with total randomized participants), reasons for attrition/exclusions where reported, and any re-inclusions in analyses performed by the review authors.
- All attrition accounted for (2.3%)
Selective outcome reporting
State how the possibility of selective outcome reporting was examined by the review authors and what was found.
- Death certificates were obtained for all participants.
What was the risk of bias from selective outcome reporting? Assessments should be made for each main outcome (or class of outcomes).
Other sources of bias
Overall risk of bias
|Low risk of bias||Additional comments: Please replace this text and include any additional comments in regards to your risk of bias rating|
This appraisal has been completed.
- Jørgensen OD, Kronborg O, Fenger C. A randomised study of screening for colorectal cancer using faecal occult blood testing: results after 13 years and seven biennial screening rounds. Gut 2002 Jan;50(1):29-32 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11772963.
- Assigned to
- Topic area
- Guidelines:Colorectal cancer
- Clinical question
- Form:Quality appraisal rct-cochrane
- - Cancer related mortality; - Overall mortality
Section below only relevant for Cancer Council Project Officer