Critical appraisal:Leong RW, Ooi M, Corte C, Yau Y, Kermeen M, Katelaris PH, et al 2017
From Cancer Guidelines Wiki
Risk of bias assessment: Randomised Controlled Trial (Cochrane risk of bias tool)
Random sequence generation
Describe the method used to generate the allocation sequence in sufficient detail to allow an assessment of whether it should produce comparable groups.
Describe the method used to conceal the allocation sequence in sufficient detail to determine whether intervention allocations could have been foreseen in advance of or during, enrolment.
Describe all measures used, if any, to blind outcome assessors from knowledge of which intervention a participant received. Provide any information relating to whether the intended blinding was effective.
- The primary end point was dysplasia missed by the first colonoscopy diagnosed by an expert gastrointestinal pathologist blinded to the colonoscope allocation in consensus with a second expert pathologist.
Incomplete outcome data
Describe the completeness of outcome data for each main outcome, including attrition and exlusions from the analysis. State whether attrition and exclusions were reported, the numbers in each intervention group (compared with total randomized participants), reasons for attrition/exclusions where reported, and any re-inclusions in analyses performed by the review authors.
- From a total of 99 subjects who met the inclusion
criteria, 44 were excluded because of an insufficient elapsed
time interval since their previous surveillance colonoscopy
(n ¼ 34), pregnancy (n ¼ 2), or declining to participate
(n ¼ 8). Of the 55 IBD subjects randomized, 3 were excluded
after commencement of colonoscopy because of poor bowel
preparation (n ¼ 2) and failed sedation (n ¼ 1). Twentythree
subjects had CD and 29 had UC. The median age
was 45.0 years and 60% were males. The mean IBD duration
was 16.4 years.
In total, 104 tandem colonoscopy procedures were
conducted with 27 subjects randomized to FVC first and 25
randomized to FUSE first
Selective outcome reporting
State how the possibility of selective outcome reporting was examined by the review authors and what was found.
What was the risk of bias from selective outcome reporting? Assessments should be made for each main outcome (or class of outcomes).
Other sources of bias
Overall risk of bias
|Low risk of bias||Additional comments: Please replace this text and include any additional comments in regards to your risk of bias rating|
- Leong RW, Ooi M, Corte C, Yau Y, Kermeen M, Katelaris PH, et al. Full-Spectrum Endoscopy Improves Surveillance for Dysplasia in Patients With Inflammatory Bowel Diseases. Gastroenterology 2017 May;152(6):1337-1344.e3 Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28126349.
- Assigned to
- Topic area
- Guidelines:Colorectal cancer/Colonoscopy surveillance
- Clinical question
- Form:Quality appraisal rct-cochrane
- Detection of dysplasia by FUSE vs Forward-viewing Colonoscopy +/- Chromoendoscopy
Section below only relevant for Cancer Council Project Officer