Li YM, Li L, Yu CH, Liu YS, Xu CF. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the treatment for Barrett's esophagus. Dig Dis Sci 2008 Nov;53(11):2837-46 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18427992.
systematic review — The study only includes randomised studies. Some compare intervention to control patients and others to patients treated with medical therapy. Some studies comparing two interventions are also included.
|Low risk of bias||Comments: Please replace this text and include any additional comments in regards to your quality rating|
Risk of bias assessment: systematic review
Studies included in the review
- Very thorough – included appropriate search terms and databases
- Yes – pre-specified inclusion criteria applied independently by two people
- Yes – appropriate quality issues were assessed independently by two people
- Yes – summary descriptive tables of subjects, interventions, outcomes etc are provided and estimates of treatment effect displayed
The following questions are only relevant for systematic reviews that pooled data
|2||Reason for decision: The treatment effects that were compared statistically have confidence intervals that cross one in 2 or 3 papers use in one analysis and in 2 out of 2 studies in another analysis. To draw meaningful conclusions from these comparisons is limited.|
|2||Additional comments: The authors conclude that the various treatments can reliably ablate Barrett's mucosa but that relevant outcomes for the patient have not been established and that the included studies lack statistical power.|
This review includes some of the papers that I have been asked to review as individual papers and therefore there is duplication of data in the analaysis.
- Li YM, Li L, Yu CH, Liu YS, Xu CF. A systematic review and meta-analysis of the treatment for Barrett's esophagus. Dig Dis Sci 2008 Nov;53(11):2837-46 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18427992.
- Assigned to
- Topic area
- Clinical question
Section below only relevant for Cancer Council Project Officer