Rees JR, Lao-Sirieix P, Wong A, Fitzgerald RC. Treatment for Barrett's oesophagus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010 Jan 20;(1):CD004060 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20091557.
- How effective is endoscopic management compared with surgical management for high grade dysplasia in patients with BO?
systematic review — randomised
|Low risk of bias||Comments: did not include any surgical resection, includes all barretts not just high grade dysplasia. Good quality systematic review but not specific to current squestion, provides some evidence on endoscopic options but the rcts are endo versus PPI or nothing or apc versus PDT which are not really applicable to current management options|
Risk of bias assessment: systematic review
Studies included in the review
- Very thorough – included appropriate search terms and databases
- Yes – pre-specified inclusion criteria applied independently by two people
- Yes – appropriate quality issues were assessed independently by two people
- Yes – summary descriptive tables of subjects, interventions, outcomes etc are provided and estimates of treatment effect displayed
The following questions are only relevant for systematic reviews that pooled data
|4||Reason for decision: see summary of findings table only p values and confidence intervals fro PDT versus PPI or rfa vs sham. Confidence intervals wide or not reported form majority, progression to cancer eihter not reported or no difference|
|2||Additional comments: see above comments, not specific to high grade dysplasia and not compared to surgery|
- Rees JR, Lao-Sirieix P, Wong A, Fitzgerald RC. Treatment for Barrett's oesophagus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010 Jan 20;(1):CD004060 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20091557.
- Assigned to
- Topic area
- Clinical question
Section below only relevant for Cancer Council Project Officer