Rees JR, Lao-Sirieix P, Wong A, Fitzgerald RC. Treatment for Barrett's oesophagus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010 Jan 20;(1):CD004060 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20091557.
systematic review — Only randomised studies were included. The included studies examined an intervention compared with placebo, surveillance or another intervention.
|Moderate risk of bias||Comments: The study is descriptive and reports the studies individually or grouped if examining the same intervention against a comparable control or other treatment arm. Extraordinary amount of detail in the analysis of the scientific quality of the included studies.|
Risk of bias assessment: systematic review
Studies included in the review
- Very thorough – included appropriate search terms and databases
- Adequate – inclusion criteria were pre-specified and applied by one person
- Adequate – some problems with quality issues or assessed by one person only
- Yes – summary descriptive tables of subjects, interventions, outcomes etc are provided and estimates of treatment effect displayed
The following questions are only relevant for systematic reviews that pooled data
|2||Reason for decision: There are various interventions assessed. Some compare to placebo or a medically treated surveillance group whilst other studies compare two or more interventions. Sample sizes vary and the size of the effect is also quite different in the various studies. All interventions results in successful ablation of mucosa to a greater or lesser extent.|
|2||Additional comments: The included studies are almost entirely conducted in patients with non-dysplastic Barrett's mucosa. The authors conclude that ablation is feasible but the relevance to the ablation of dysplastic mucosa is unclear.|
- Rees JR, Lao-Sirieix P, Wong A, Fitzgerald RC. Treatment for Barrett's oesophagus. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2010 Jan 20;(1):CD004060 Abstract available at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20091557.
- Assigned to
- Topic area
- Clinical question
Section below only relevant for Cancer Council Project Officer