Critical appraisal:Stevenson AR, Solomon MJ, Lumley JW, Hewett P, Clouston AD, Gebski VJ, et al 2015 2
From Cancer Guidelines Wiki
Risk of bias assessment: Randomised Controlled Trial (Cochrane risk of bias tool)
Random sequence generation
Describe the method used to generate the allocation sequence in sufficient detail to allow an assessment of whether it should produce comparable groups.
- Patients were randomized to undergo laparoscopic or open surgery at the NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre via the Internet using the method of minimization
Describe the method used to conceal the allocation sequence in sufficient detail to determine whether intervention allocations could have been foreseen in advance of or during, enrolment.
- Not described
Describe all measures used, if any, to blind outcome assessors from knowledge of which intervention a participant received. Provide any information relating to whether the intended blinding was effective.
- Primary outcomes where carried out by a blinded pathologist, outcomes of blindign not described
Incomplete outcome data
Describe the completeness of outcome data for each main outcome, including attrition and exlusions from the analysis. State whether attrition and exclusions were reported, the numbers in each intervention group (compared with total randomized participants), reasons for attrition/exclusions where reported, and any re-inclusions in analyses performed by the review authors.
- All data reported
Selective outcome reporting
State how the possibility of selective outcome reporting was examined by the review authors and what was found.
- Most outcomes reported in original protocol, those that where not included require longer follow-up
What was the risk of bias from selective outcome reporting? Assessments should be made for each main outcome (or class of outcomes).
Other sources of bias
Overall risk of bias
|Unclear risk of bias||Additional comments: Please replace this text and include any additional comments in regards to your risk of bias rating|
- Stevenson AR, Solomon MJ, Lumley JW, Hewett P, Clouston AD, Gebski VJ, et al. Effect of Laparoscopic-Assisted Resection vs Open Resection on Pathological Outcomes in Rectal Cancer: The ALaCaRT Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA 2015 Oct 6;314(13):1356-63 Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26441180.
- Assigned to
- Topic area
- Guidelines:Colorectal cancer
- Clinical question
- Form:Quality appraisal rct-cochrane
Section below only relevant for Cancer Council Project Officer