Critical appraisal:Zhang L, Ren Y, Liu Y 2015
Zhang L, Ren Y, Liu Y. Comparison of the Effects of Lobectomy on Immunologic Function Between Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery and Traditional Open Surgery for Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Am J Ther 2015 Apr 23 Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25909924.
- Is minimally invasive lobectomy as effective as open lobectomy for treatment of operable stage I NSCLC?
randomised controlled trial
To compare the effects of lobectomy on immunologic function between VATS and open surgery for non–small-cell lung cancer
Operative blood loss and transfusion volume
C-reactive protein (CRP), serum amyloid A (SAA), interleukin (IL) 6, and interleukin 2 receptor (IL-2R) were detected before operation, 24 hours, and 72 hours after operation
Peripheral blood lymphocytes, proportion of CD4+ T lymphocytes, CD8+ T lymphocytes, and natural killer (NK) in lymphocytes detected before operation, 3 days, and 7 days after operation
FACT-Lung (FACT-L) questionnaire before operation and 6 months after operation
Blood loss and transfusion volume during operation in VATS group were less than open group (p< 0.05)
Serum amyloid A levels 12 hours after operation in open group were higher than those in VATS group (p< 0.05)
Preoperative and postoperative levels of CPR, IL-6, and IL-2R showed difference between open and VATS group.
Preoperative and postoperative proportions of CD4+ T lymphocytes and NK in lymphocytes and the number of lymphocytes were no different between VATS and open groups.
Proportion of CD8+ T-lymphocytes 7 days after operation in open group was clearly lower than that in VATS group (p< 0.05)
Postoperative physiologic and functional conditions in VATS were better than those in open group (p< 0.05)
|Low risk of bias||Comments: Please replace this text and include any additional comments in regards to your quality rating|
Risk of bias assessment: randomised controlled trial
- I am reasonably certain that the trial was double-blinded (eg identical placebo, active placebo, double-dummy, no revealing side-effects).
- Adequately concealed (e.g. central randomisation, numbered or coded bottles, drugs prepared by pharmacy).
- No exclusions or survival analysis used with all subjects included (>95% follow-up for all groups).
The field below is not considered when calculating the risk of bias rating
|1||Reason for decision: Please replace this text and briefly describe the reasons for your rating|
|1||Additional comments: Please replace this text and briefly describe the reasons for your rating|
- Zhang L, Ren Y, Liu Y. Comparison of the Effects of Lobectomy on Immunologic Function Between Video-Assisted Thoracoscopic Surgery and Traditional Open Surgery for Non-Small-Cell Lung Cancer. Am J Ther 2015 Apr 23 Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25909924.
- Assigned to
- Topic area
- Guidelines:Lung cancer/Treatment/Non-small-cell stage I operable
- Clinical question
Section below only relevant for Cancer Council Project Officer