Cancer Council Australia Barrett’s Oesophagus and Early Oesophageal Adenocarcinoma Working Party. Australian clinical practice guidelines for the diagnosis and management of Barrett's esophagus and early esophageal adenocarcinoma J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2015 May;30(5):804-20. doi: 10.1111/jgh.12913.
Further resources for health professionals Decision tree for the management of Barrett’s Oesophagus
Barrett's Oesophagus without Dysplasia
- What is the prevalence of BO in the Australian population in comparison with other populations?
- Which factors best predict the risk of developing BO?
- What is the incidence of neoplasia in patients with BO?
- What are the risk factors for progression from non-dysplastic BO to high-grade dysplasia or adenocarcinoma?
- What is the endoscopic definition of BO and how is it described?
- What is the optimal tissue sampling at endoscopy for diagnosis of BO?
- What is the histological definition of BO?
- Are there any medical or surgical interventions that cause regression of BO?
- Are there any treatments that prevent progression of BO to cancer?
- What is appropriate medical systemic therapy for symptoms associated with BO?
- Is there a role for ablative therapy to treat BO?
Surveillance and Follow-up
- How frequently should patients with BO undergo endoscopy?
- Are there groups of patients with non-dysplastic BO that require more frequent surveillance?
- Are there groups of patients with BO that can be discharged from surveillance?
- Is surveillance cost-effective for follow-up of patients with BO?
Barrett's Oesophagus with Dysplasia and/or Adenocarcinoma
Definition and Diagnosis
- What are the histological features of early adenocarcinoma of the oesophagus?
- What are the best modalities for accurately staging early oesophageal adenocarcinoma?
Low grade dysplasia
High grade dysplasia and early cancer
- After successful endoscopic treatment for BO neoplasia, how frequently should patients undergo endoscopy?
- What endoscopic surveillance protocol should be followed for patients with BO and high grade dysplasia?
- How effective is endoscopic management compared with surgical management for high grade dysplasia in patients with BO?
Please provide general comments regarding this guideline by using the comment button below.